Our delicious Keto Chicken Soup recipe is a hearty, warm comfort food to enjoy all season long! It’s low-carb, paleo-friendly, dairy free, grain free, and gluten free, and your kids are sure to love it, too! While the recipe is made from scratch, it’s super easy and quick to make!
The other thing we love about this keto chicken soup is that the broth offers electrolytes and minerals that we sometimes miss on a ketogenic diet! We’re huge fans of using bone broth, but you can use regular chicken broth as well.
Why We Love Soups on a Keto Diet
First off, I have to admit I love soups and stews during the Fall and Winter months on any diet. They usually provide a lot of servings so we can eat on leftovers. Plus, with a soup you don’t need to figure out your meat, sides, etc. It’s just all in one bowl – ready to be eaten!
Here are some specific reasons why soups work well on a ketogenic diet though:
- They’re affordable. Following a keto diet can be really expensive. You’re eating a lot of whole foods and meats which can add up quickly!
- You can customize them! I have 3 chili recipes I love and depending on my carbs available, I choose one for the week. I love that I can add in more veggies, more meat, swap a spaghetti squash for noodles and so on with a soup.
- They’re awesome for meal prep! If you’re looking for a quick meal prep option, you could make a pot of this keto chicken soup, and enjoy it all week!
- Anyone can cook this keto chicken soup and so many other stew recipes! Soups are so easy to throw together either on the stove or in a crockpot! No cooking experience required!
- They’re comforting and can offer a boost in nutrients. I love being able to sneak in vegetables into my soups. This helps me get in a little more fiber, vitamins, minerals, and nutrients into my diet easily and quickly.
How to Make a Soup Lower Carb or Keto Friendly
While this recipe is already keto-friendly, you may have a soup or stew you love that you want to still enjoy. Try out these tips to customize your recipe to fit your diet!
- Choose keto-friendly vegetables! We love to use zucchini, mushrooms, and tomatoes!
- Swap your noodles for a lower carb option like spiraled vegetables, cauliflower rice, or shiitake noodles.
- Consider adding more meat or broth. This can help a soup last longer and feel hearty even on a keto diet.
Why Spaghetti Squash Noodles?
We love the sweet, soft flavor of spaghetti squash noodles, and they go so well with the chicken and vegetables in this soup.
Spaghetti Squash Noodles also make this keto chicken soup hearty while staying low in carbs!
How Do I Prepare Spaghetti Squash Noodles for Soup?
For this keto chicken soup recipe, you’ll want to have your chicken and spaghetti squash noodles ready. We usually microwave ours because it makes it quick and simple. Here’s steps on how to microwave a spaghetti squash.
You can also find pre-cooked spaghetti squash ready to go in some grocery stores and at Costco now! So feel free to grab that instead!
Something else I do to speed up my meal prep is to cook my chicken the night before.
I place the thawed chicken in my crockpot, and cover it with just enough water so that it’s all the way covered.
Then, I put the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4. I do this for so many soups and stews through the colder months!
How to Make Our Keto Chicken Soup
Get ready to enjoy this classic comfort food without the noodles! You’ll be surprised at how quick it is to make!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped chicken breasts or thighs, precooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups spaghetti squash noodles, precooked.
How to Cook Your Soup
In a large pot, heat your oil until it’s warm.
Then, stir in the veggies and sauté them for 3-5 minutes until they begin to sweat.
Now, you’ll add in your remaining ingredients. Let that simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.
Add in spaghetti squash noodles and heat through.
Remove bay leaves and serve warm.
You May Also Like These Other Low Carb Ideas
- 2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Cup Diced Celery
- 1/2 Cup Diced Onion
- 1/4 Cup Diced Carrots
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Chopped Chicken Breasts or Thighs (precooked)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Cups Spaghetti Squash Noodles (precooked)
- In a large pot, heat the oil.
- Stir in the veggies and sautee for 3-5 minutes until they begin to sweat.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.
- Add in spaghetti squash noodles and heat through.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Tip: I like to cook my chicken the night before in a crockpot. I place unfrozen chicken and cover it with just enough water that it's all the way covered. I put the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4. That way I'm ready to make my soup the day of and can do so quickly!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1599mgCarbohydrates: 22gNet Carbohydrates: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g