This delicious Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips recipe is so easy to make! The soft and chewy squares combine gooey marshmallow, crispy cereal, and chocolate for the ultimate family friendly snack!
These Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips are perfect for a school snack, after school, or a fun recipe for a movie night at home!
We started playing with our Rice Krispie Treats recipes about a year ago after eating a “gourmet” treat that was topped with caramel and salt. The one serving was $2.50!! So we decided to start making our own fun varieties at home for a fraction of the price!
Is it cheaper to make or buy rice crispy treats?
It’s cheaper to make rice crispy treats than to buy them at the store. You’ll typically cut your spending in half by making your own homemade batches.
Is there a substitute for marshmallows in Rice Crispy Treats?
Yes, you can make rice krispie treats with marshmallow fluff!
Should Rice Krispie Treats be refrigerated?
You don’t need to refrigerate Rice Krispie Treats. If you’re wanting them to cool faster, you can put them in there to chill, but we prefer them always at room temperature.
How to store these treats?
You can store Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips in an airtight container at room temperature for 7-10 days.
How do you cut Rice Krispie Treats?
It’s important to prep your baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, parchment paper, or wax paper to ensure the krispy treats come out easily. You can keep the cuts of the gooey treats clean and crisp by cleaning your knife between cuts.
What You’ll Need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows (or about 40 large ones)
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup additional marshmallows (optional)
Other Mix-In Options
A traditional rice krispie treat is such an easy recipe and a classic favorite that they whole family loves.
But you can always up this no-bake recipe by adding a little bit of candy or sweets to the original recipe.
We love to add in:
- melted chocolate
- creamy peanut butter or almond butter
- extra marshmallows
- butterscotch chips
- dark chocolate chunks
- 3/4 tsp addition of vanilla extract
- Oreo bits
One of our favorite mix-in combinations are these Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats!
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Chips
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large pot or sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add in your marshmallows once the butter is melted.
- Using a greased spatula or wooden spoon stir the marshmallow mixture until it’s completely melted and smooth.
- Pour in your Rice Krispies and gently stir until coated in melted marshmallows.
- Remove from heat and let the cereal mixture cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the treats are cool, add in 1 cup chocolate chips and 1/2 cup marshmallows if desired.
- Using a spatula sprayed with non-stick spray, pour the mixture into the greased 9×13 pan.
- Let cool and then cut into squares with a knife spayed with non-stick spray.
Tips Make Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
- Only use real butter (no low calorie butter or margarine).
- Melt your butter on low, and then add your marshmallows immediately.
- Stir your marshmallows until they’re melted. As soon as they are, add in your cereal. Overcooking the marshmallows make treats hard.
- Fold in your cereal gently – trying not to break it. Breaking the cereal will make the treats more dense and hard.
- Mix in your chocolate chips (and extra marshmallows) after removing the mixture from the heat and letting them cool. Otherwise, the chocolate will melt.
- As you press your treats into the pan, be gentle. You don’t want to press them in too firmly.
- Store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh, soft, and chewy!
Why are my Rice Krispie treats falling apart?
If your Rice Krispie treats are falling apart, you didn’t add enough cereal to the marshmallow mixture. On the other hand, if your treats turn out dry, they needed more marshmallow.
How do you press Rice Crispy Treats?
I spray 9×13 pan with non-stick spray and pour the mixture into the pan. Then, I will either spray my hands and pat the treats down gently or use a silicone spatula that has also been sprayed with non-stick spray.
These delicious rice krispie treats with chocolate chips recipe is simple snack and no-bake dessert!
We love to serve these with a fun night at home! Grab our favorite movie night ideas for more ideas and tips!
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: You can also melt your butter and marshmallows in the microwave! You just want to place both ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir after 2 minutes and repeat these steps until the mixture is smooth. Then add in your cereal and pour into a greased 9x13 dish as listed above. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 36gNet Carbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: You can also melt your butter and marshmallows in the microwave! You just want to place both ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir after 2 minutes and repeat these steps until the mixture is smooth. Then add in your cereal and pour into a greased 9x13 dish as listed above.
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
- Super Easy Kix Cereal Treats (No Bake)