Who doesn’t love a good date night in? We’re making planning fun at home date night ideas simple and easy with this list of great ideas for couples!
If one of your goals is to save more money this year, you’ll love these cheap date ideas that are also memorable and romantic!
Some of my favorite memories growing up were when my parents would empty the coin jar we kept in the kitchen and go buy a pizza with it! They’d then have my aunt and uncle over, and they’d play cards or a game all night.
When Jake and I were dating, we also had several memorable stay at home date ideas – including Valentines Day! Instead of going out to eat at a fancy restaurant, he grabbed a pizza and donuts on the way home, and we had a classic romantic comedy movie night!
So much fun and so budget-friendly!
And yes – a movie night might sound pretty traditional, but this list of creative date night ideas has something unique and perfect for every couple!
What can you do at home on a date?
There are several ways to plan a stay at home date night! I’ve been making this list for a few weeks now, and it started to get a little overwhelming to be 100% honest.
So we’re breaking down the date ideas into 3 categories: Romantic Date Night Ideas, Fun at Home Dates, and More Date Ideas.
All of these ideas are cheap and can help you save money while spending time together.
Romantic Date Night Ideas
1. Enjoy a Dinner by Candlelight – Whether you cook something or grab your favorite take-out, you can make it special by lighting some candles. It’s just a fun way to elevate a meal.
2. Make Dinner or Dessert Together – One of my favorite things to cook together is a pizza! You could make the dough and get a little crazy with the toppings!
We also love these easy red wine chocolate shakes recipe for 2! You only need 3 ingredients: red wine, chocolate ice cream, and chocolate syrup, and it’s so fun to make together.
3. Give each other massages. Grab your favorite scented lotion and Google to improve your massaging skills if you need to!
Fun at Home Dates
I have to admit, I love a fun at home date, and they can be romantic as well!
4. Watch the Big Game Together – I love watching a football game with Jake in the Fall. We can get pizza, nachos, chicken wings, and whatever snacks we want, and then enjoy the game together. You could also bet on the game and have a fun prize for the winner. (Nowadays, you can even find a classic game being replayed too!)
5. Do a Puzzle Together – While it might not sound as sexy as a massage, it’s the talking that is the best part of doing a puzzle together. You can also find some high-art puzzles like this one and frame it after! Puzzles aren’t just kittens and light houses anymore!
6. Paint or Color Together – Just like doing a puzzle together, coloring or painting can allow you time to open up and share what has been going on lately in your lives and relationships. We also love this #MarriedLife Snarky Coloring Book for Adults. It’s hilarious!
7. Do a Craft or DIY Project Together – I can’t say we’re a crafty couple, but I am always impressed by a couple that we’re friends with who are. They redid their guest bathroom together one weekend, and they also have built a few pieces of furniture together! The craftiest thing Jake and I have done is painting mugs, but whatever project you choose — you’ll not only get to spend time together, but you’ll also have a memento from the date after too!
8. Build a Fort in the Living Room – We love the idea of building a fort like you did as a kid. You can throw down pillows, blankets, and bring in treats to enjoy all night! You could also bring an iPad and watch YouTube videos or listen to music after you have it built!
9. Play Video Games Together – I absolutely am amazing at Mario Kart, and I don’t mind kicking some butt when we play. (It’s the only video game I’m good at). Pick out a classic game like Mario you both played as kids or pick something new neither of you have played to make it fun and a little less competitive.
10. Karaoke or Dance the Night Away – YouTube not only has songs with lyrics, but you can also find dance lessons on there! If you always love the atmosphere of a dance club or karaoke bar, bring that vibe home! Create a fun cocktail and turn on the music!
11. Have a Nerf or Marshmallow Fight
12. Have a Movie Marathon – This is our go-to for a great date night at home. We absolutely love movies, and we will pick a theme and food for the night. One of our favorite themes is to get pizza and watch The Godfather & The Godfather II movies.
We also do an epic Christmas Movie night with A Christmas Carol, National Lampoon’s Christmas, and Love Actually! We take an intermission to enjoy cream cheese squares and orange juice in the middle of the night!
Games for Couples
We mentioned a game night is something we love to do, but we also have a few other game ideas you might like!
14. Play “Would You Rather?” – You can come up with your own questions, or you can buy a game with a ton of questions to pick from!
15. See How Well You Know Each Other with the Newlywed Game and have fun prizes for each other when you get the question right!
16. Break Out Twister! – We admit, Would You Rather or the Newlywed Game could go South with the wrong question – or answer – but one spin of Twister can lead to some fun.
17. If you have cards, you can always play strip poker
More Stay at Home Date Ideas for Couples
If you still haven’t found a good fit for this weekend, we have a few more cute at home date ideas for you!
These date night ideas weren’t necessarily romantic or nostalgic fun; they fell somewhere in between.
18. Have a Backyard Picnic – Just like candlelight, throwing down a blanket and enjoying a meal outside can enhance a dinner – even if it’s takeout!
19. Watch a Movie Outside – This could be on an iPad, or if you know you’ll use it, you could even invest in an inflatable movie projector for epic movie nights outside!
20. Make Drinks and Sip Them on Your Patio – This sounds so simple, but when it gets warm, I love sitting out on the deck with a glass of wine and listening to a new album together.
21. Breakfast in Bed for Dinner – Mornings can be crazy — so why not make pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, or your favorite breakfast foods for dinner and curl up in bed!
22. Wine Tasting Flight Sampler – Did you know you can have a flight of wine mailed to you and have a tasting at home? It’s so much fun and affordable too!
23. Don’t like wine? Do a Chocolate Tasting! We don’t have a kit for this one, but you could focus on all Milk Chocolate from different brands to find your favorite or vary it up!
24. Go Through Old Photos & Do an Album – I used to have pictures printed and put into albums all the time, and now they’re just all on my phone! Take a moment to pull your favorite photos from both of your phones and create an album or look through old albums together.
25. Do a Fondue Night – You don’t even need a fondue machine! You can melt chocolate, caramel, and other dipping sauces on your stove or crockpot!
Here are a few more ideas for a great date night in!
What’s Your Favorite Date Night At Home?
We’d love to know if you have other Stay At Home Date Night Ideas that we should add too! Let us know in the comments!